5 Business Blogging Mistakes (and How to Fix Them with Website Marketing Techniques)
When it comes to having a successful website that helps support your website marketing and SEO goals, one of the key ingredients is an SEO-friendly blog. Some of the biggest mistakes we see our clients make when blogging involve ignoring website marketing best practices when publishing blog posts. How do you create an SEO-friendly, optimized blog? That comes down to good optimization, good promotion and consistency. Keep reading for details on how you can turn your corporate blog into a SEO masterpiece.
Avoid these Website Marketing mistakes and create a business blog that drives results
- Having your blog on a separate domain from your website. When your blog is published on a separate domain from your own website, it causes several issues. First of all, you lose the traffic that your blog could have generated for your main site. You also miss out on the SEO benefits possible by having more pages on your site that can be optimized with your keywords. Even worse, if your blog is hosted on a free blogging platform’s domain like WordPress.com, it makes your entire blog look less corporate, professional and branded.
- Being sales-oriented rather than informative. People come to blogs because they want to be informed, and not just about your latest products, services or company news. Try to post about content that will educate your audience. By focusing on being a resource, rather than a sales platform, you have a better chance of keeping your audience engaged long-term.
- Being inconsistent. Once you start a blog, you need to be consistent about its upkeep. Creating a blog and then posting sporadically and infrequently causes your audience to lose interest, and it won’t encourage backlinks to your content (a necessity of SEO) or sharing of your content to help promote your expertise.
- Ignoring optimization. Each and everyone one of your blog posts should be developed using the same SEO principles that you would use for a webpage on your website: proper keyword-rich title tags, heading tags, meta descriptions and URLs as well as a good percentage of relevant keywords.
- Forgetting to cross-promote. The best way to get backlinks to your website is to create content (blogs) that other people want to link to and then to share that content everywhere that you can so that it reaches a wider audience. Social media are a great way to do this. Every time you publish a blog post you should be sharing it on all of your social media accounts, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn and anywhere else that you have a brand presence.